FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
Dr. Williams performs the Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE hair restoration procedures on his patients that prefer this method and qualify, which will be discussed in your private, complimentary consultation with Dr. Williams.
Advantages of the Follicular Unit Extraction Procedure
- No Linear Scar
- Can be utilized in small to medium procedures in hairline/top
- Can be utilized for tight/scarred donor area
- Additional procedures sooner than FUT
- Potentially less discomfort after procedure
Follicular Unit Extraction Scarring
The original hair transplants were done in the same manner with punches (circular skin biopsy blade with an open center). The difference in the size of the punch utilized in FUE procedures today, is smaller. Since the majority of hair restoration practices do not have trained surgeons doing the procedures, wide scars from poor surgical technique has led to some very unacceptable results. The advertising campaigns to encourage sales of certain equipment in this space, have frightened potential patients in to assuming that they can have a procedure that eliminates scarring. This is absolutely untrue! There are patients who qualify for either method, but there are pros and cons to both.
Disadvantages of the Follicular Unit Extraction Procedure
- Exponentially more total scar & can be visible through short hair
- More expensive
- Can damage follicles as punch is passed blindly through scalp
- Fewer future procedures are possible
- Patients preferring long hair will require regrowth (1/4-1/2″/mo)
- More damaged follicles, particularly larger grafts than FUT
- Potential for taking follicles too close to future thinning zone that utilize genetically affected grafts that will not grow permanently
Despite misleading marketing tactics from other FUE providers, there is much more scar produced with FUE than FUT or follicular unit transfer. Our patients rarely have an issue with scarring with either procedure. However, if a scar should occur there are several options to address it, free of additional charges.
Follicular Unit Extraction Cost
The costs of the Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE procedure vary on a patient by patient basis. Schedule a complimentary consultation today. Your consultation with Dr. Williams includes a free microscopic hair & scalp analysis and a personalized treatment plan.